The information on this website is directed at those members who are opting out of the plan. More detailed information for those planning to use the service (how to make claims, etc) can be found at or via your online portal (which you are able to access once you are fully enrolled in the plan).

For more information about the health and dental plan coverage and opt out eligibility, please contact the Students’ Union by emailing


Below are some frequently asked questions and associated answers. Please review these before contacting the Students’ Union with questions.

Where can I find my plan information to complete the online opt out?

Sometimes when your existing coverage is provided through a parent, you don’t always have the plan information directly. You can access the necessary information on a claim card, which is provided to every plan member, or by logging into your online claims website. You can also call you carrier and ask for the necessary information. Insurance providers can provide you proof of coverage letters that include the necessary details and validate that you have existing coverage.

Can I add my dependents to my plan?

Yes. You are able to add a single dependent (spouse, common law partner or one child) for an additional payment. The payment varies depending on the length of your program and how many people you are adding as dependents. The prices are as follows:

The process of adding dependents occurs after you have been enrolled in the plan yourself as the principle, and receive a link to your online health and dental plan portal. Through that portal, you can access the option to add dependents by filing in the necessary information and by paying the fee online. An access link to this portal will be emailed once you are enrolled in the plan, and the deadline to add dependents is the last day of the month in which you were enrolled (for example, if you received notice of enrolment in October, you would need to add your dependents by October 31).

How can I tell if I’m included in the Students’ Union plan?

The Students’ Union plan is applied to most students in full-time students post-secondary programs of 26 weeks or longer. The normal period of coverage is one year. Exceptions include the following:

Other exceptions apply so please check your MyVCC account summary to confirm your inclusion in the plan. Email with any questions.

Do status First Nations students need to opt out of the Students’ Union plan?

No, First Nations students can absolutely participate in the health and dental service. While those who are status First Nations do receive extended health and dental coverage from the federal government, students have reported that this coverage compares poorly to comprehensive plans. Though sponsoring Nations might not provide financial support for the costs of the Students’ Union health and dental plan, First Nations students are certainly not required to opt out.